The Wright Way

The Wright Way

Monday, November 2, 2009

Effective team coaching

I do pro bono coaching at my local rugby club. This is not only a pleasure but also good practice and a chance to give back to current and emerging players in the game, the benefits of what I have learnt about performance since I ceased to be a player myself.

The ongoing problems are (a) not enough training time to be able to even talk about mental preparation even at a medium level, (b) the side that actually plays matches contains probably a third of people who did not attend the previous training session. Its no surprise that the players who make the greatest number of errors are the ones not at training. Its no surprise that the players with (arguably) the weakest levels of emotional intelligence are the ones not at training.

The argument should be "then drop them".... but we are hamstrung by being in a very strong league and less conditioned or technical players would be just swept away by the opposition. So - a dilemma that is being compounded week in week out.

For this week's training session I have asked all players from Saturday's 1st XV to come to the session with some thought as to what they want to work on at the session, rather than I impose my pre-planned session upon them. Time will tell!!

No comments: