The Wright Way

The Wright Way

Friday, March 12, 2010

Breathing through the Feet!

After another fascinating 3 days away for trainings with Inside Performance, I encountered more than my fair share of “Aha!” moments. (and not in the style of Alan Partridge either!)

One of these was during an exercise doing guided PMR (relaxation) – also adding in some unconscious affirmations and guidance while the subject was in the depths of downtime. We all had some scripted elements we had prepared earlier for the routines; and one of the other delegates had interestingly included in his the sensation of the breath coming into and out of the body through the soles of the feet.

On hearing this, my inner self said “I wonder what that’s like?” So I asked him to run the same script for me when I was the participating relaxee (if there is such a word!!)
My turn duly came and I lay on the floor (the chairs were not that comfortable) and was taken through the various relaxing stages. Eventually it came to the “breath coming in and out through the feet” and, although well relaxed and entranced I noticed a quite captivating change. I was aware of my normal breathing cycle, but it seemed that the autonomic breathing process was now functioning from the diaphragm downwards to my feet. Meanwhile the upper torso and head were quite independent of this. Plus, as the process deepened, I had a heightened awareness of all that was going on in and around the room...but unconsciously! And I was aware of my legs and feet (and that breathing) in an out-of-body kind of way.

It was a first-time experience, with a wonderful sense of detachment. Not surprisingly quite a few of us recounted afterwards some equally strange and sometimes bizarre discoveries. All of which goes to show that – (a) we are all capable of far far more than we think we are, and (b) the extents of the human body and the unconscious mind are wonderfully unknown to us.

No comments: