The Wright Way

The Wright Way

Monday, June 28, 2010

Working Life Balance & Harry Chapin

In the course of one of my consultancies I see many people - usually somewhere on the corporate ladder - whose weight and food related issues pretty much all stem from lifestyle/work/stress areas.

It doesn't take much knowledge of statistics and extrapolation to realise that probably 85% of the corporate working population are affected by this in some way or other, and are NOT taking steps to deal with it in a helpful and appropriate way. There are always excuses - and these flag up instantly as showing that the person(s) concerned are at EFFECT rather than CAUSE. They are victims.

If you watch this 10 minutes talk by Nigel Marsh it will surely resonate with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXM7MpoVAD0&feature=youtu.be

I laughed and cried as I watched. It is meaningful, relevant and poignant. Classic scenarios such as "I'll have a life when xxxxx happens..." abound.

I was talking to some people really close to me last weekend about the song "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin - and of course it is a cautionary tale about aspects of Working Life Balance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etundhQa724&feature=related
There are many versions of the song but Harry's means the most to me because of the level of special vocal nuance he had in performance.

The beacon of responsibility shines brightly in the messages from Nigel Marsh and Harry Chapin - being reponsible for and taking charge of our own lives, for if we don't then someone or something else will steal it from us. And, as I see regularly with clients, it is quite a battle to get it back.

PW

3 comments:

Bridget Clapham said...

Excellent post Peter!! Thank you. Bridget Clapham

Bridget Clapham said...

Excellent post Peter. thank you I will forward on! Bridget Clapham

Bridget Clapham said...

Excellent post Peter. Thank you. Bridget Clapham